BARBEQUE GRILL SAFETY
Each year about 600 fires/explosions occur with gas grills, causing injuries. Many accidents happen the first time the grill is ignited for the season or after the grill's gas container is refilled and reattached.
Before you plan your next outdoor cookout, review these safety tips:
- Check grill hoses for cracking, brittleness, holes and leaks. Make sure there are no sharp bends in the hose or tubing.
- Move gas hoses as far away as possible from hot surfaces and dripping hot grease.
- Always keep propane gas containers upright.
- Never store a spare gas container under the grill or indoors.
- Never store or use flammable liquids, like gasoline, near the grill.
- Never keep filled gas containers in hot car or trunk. Heat will cause the gas pressure to increase, which may open the relief valve and allow gas to escape.
- Make sure your spark igniter is consistently generating a spark to create a flame and burn the propane gas. If the flame is not visible, the heavier-than-air propane gas may be escaping and could cause an explosion.
- Never bring the propane tank into the house.
- When using barbecue grills on decks and patios, be sure to leave sufficient space from the siding and eaves.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill.
If you have an old propane tank that is no longer wanted or cannot be filled, you can drop it off at any of the Enfield fire stations free of charge. Please make sure you transport the tank with a safety plug. For more information, please call the appropriate fire station, as listed below:
Enfield Fire Station 1: (860) 745-1878
Enfield Fire Station 2: (860) 741-3114
Hazardville Fire Station: (860) 749-8344
North Thompsonville Station: (860) 745-2946
Shaker Pines Station: (860) 749-8552
Thompsonville Station: (860) 745-3365
Back to the top